The best option for each student depends upon their academic challenges, learning styles, available time and level of effort. Below is a starter list of resources to research and then decide what’s best for your needs. Always contact programs directly for updated details and costs.
Do you prefer a structured program or face-to-face interaction?
- Kaplan Test Preparation – Program options range from a “Unlimited Prep” program to “Self Paced Online Tutoring”. Prices can range anywhere from $600-$1800+ depending upon your program needs. For additional informational and program options contact Kaplan at 1-800-KAP-TEST or at www.kaptest.com
- Princeton Review – Preparation programs including online, private and small group sessions. More information can be found at www.princetonreview.com or at 1-800-273-8439.
- Method Test Prep - Teacher led online web classes focus on test preparation and test taking strategies. Details can be found at https://www.methodtestprep.com/classes/ .
- UA Think Tank - Program includes a pre-test with detailed score report, 20 hours of specific test content and a post-test with a summary report. The course is held on the UA campus and sessions start throughout the academic year. Details on ACT and SAT prep can be found at https://thinktank.arizona.edu/act-prep .
- Double 800 - Specializes in PSAT & SAT preparation, offering 8-week courses of in-person instruction and follow up. Local courses are held at the Tucson Jewish Community Center. Details can be found at http://www.double800.com/tucson-sat-prep-course.html .
- Pima Community College - 6 week, instructor led online course provides students with 24 hours of specific content instruction, test taking strategies, test anxiety management and scoring explanations. 4 sessions are offered throughout the academic year. Details can be found at Pima Community College Test Prep
- Tutoring Club Tucson Foothills - Individualized and targeted test preparation focusing on the student’s weakest testing subject areas. Information and connection to the Tucson office can be found at https://www.tutoringclub.com/what-we-do/tc-test-prep/
- Doorway to College – Webinar ACT or SAT preparation and strategy workshops. Program dates and registration can be found at http://www.doorwaytocollege.com.
Do you prefer to work independently or need free/low-cost options?
A simple online web search will generate countless resources for free test preparation ranging from tutorials and video lesson plans to old full-length tests and question of the day apps for smartphones.
- Both testing companies offer free pdf test booklets plus low-cost books and software programs. Free test information booklets are also available in the College Counseling Center. ACT ( www.actstudent.org ) SAT ( www.collegeboard.org )
- Khan Academy – Free SAT online test preparation/sample exams. https://www.khanacademy.org/
- Magoosh ACT Flashcards App, Ready4SAT, Daily Practice for SAT/ACT - available in Apple Store & Google Play The Grading Game - available in Apple Store
- 4Tests.com - Free online practice tests for the SAT and ACT.